This course defines concussion and concussion management from a physical therapy perspective. The focus is on current evidence in concussion etiology, baseline screening, acute management, and post-concussion management. Current laws for youth sports in Texas and New Mexico will be reviewed. As well as reviewing the current role physical therapists have in regards to the law.
At the end of this presentation the participants will:
1. Define mechanics and pathophysiology of a concussion
2. Recognize etiology of concussion
3. Recall components and review current research of concussion baseline testing
4. Review acute management procedures
5. Recall components and review current research of post-concussion management
6. Discuss current legislation in Texas and New Mexico regarding concussions in youth sports and the roles that Physical Therapists have
Claudia Garduño, PT, MPT was born in El Paso Texas. She received a Bachelor’s in Kinesiology from The University of Texas at San Antonio and Master’s in Physical Therapy from The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston. She has spent her career in El Paso at a PT-owned private practice, Spine and Rehab Specialists from 2004 to present. She is a member of APTA with section membership in Neurology, Orthopedics, and Sports. Her practice expertise consists of examination and interventions for patients with cervical conditions, vestibular and balance conditions, and concussion.
5:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. - Networking
6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. - GEPD Business Meeting
7:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. - CCU Course
This course is approved for 1.0 CCU under TPTA's Accredited Provider status.