William Gould Memorial Outstanding
Physical Therapy Faculty Award
The purpose of this award is to acknowledge an outstanding faculty member in Physical Therapy education in Texas who has demonstrated excellence in that role. This award has been renamed in honor of William R. Gould, PT, PhD, who passed away in 1999. A leader for many years at Hardin-Simmons University in Abilene, Dr. Gould was known as an exemplary educator and earned the respect of students and colleagues.
- A physical therapist who is:
- a current member of the TPTA.
- has been engaged in teaching physical therapist students (professional or post-professional) for at least two years.
- has a part-time or full-time faculty academic appointment, but may be of any rank.
- must be employed in an academic setting within one or more accredited physical therapist education programs, or post-professional level programs for physical therapists, from which student earn an academic degree.
2. Members of the Ad hoc Awards Task Force of the TPTA are not eligible for the award
during their terms or periods of service.
- Any member of the TPTA may submit nominations.
- Nominations are made by completing an electronic nomination form and submission of a nomination letter.
- Nominations will be evaluated on the nominee’s:
- Teaching excellence in the academic setting
- Commitment to service to the institution, profession, and community.
- Contribution to the body of knowledge in physical therapy through research or writings.
4. Nomination materials will not be returned.
5. If an individual is not selected for the award in a given year, the individual may be
nominated in subsequent years. This would require a new nomination form and
|2000 – Sharon Olson
||2007 – Martha (Marty) Hinman
|2001 – Ann Newstead
||2008 – John Childs
|2002 – Peggy Gleeson
||2009 – Janelle Kay O’Connell
|2003 – Phillip B. Palmer
||2010 – Carolyn Utsey
|2004 – Christine P. Baker
||2011 – Marsha Rutland
|2005 – Ronald Bybee
||2012 – no award given
|2006 – Deydre Teyhen
||2013 – Barbara Melzer
||2014 - Loretta Dillon
||2015 - Brenda K. Boucher