CCAP Frequently Asked Questions

Continuing Competence Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Texas does not offer reciprocal credit with other state jurisdictions; however, many other states may accept Texas credit.

Please check with that state's licensing entity for more information.


Individual Licensees



Accredited Providers



Individual Licensees

Where can I find the approval number for a course I’ve taken?

The course approval number or accredited provider number should be listed on the certificate of completion you receive after completing the course.  Licensees should contact the sponsor to receive this number if it is not included on the certificate.  TPTA can verify whether a course is approved; however, we cannot provide approval numbers since we do not have the ability to verify attendance.


Is it possible to get a course approved quicker than the processing time listed on the website?

Licensees have the option to expedite a course application.  Please refer to the individual course application form for more information (available here).


Can I use a course towards my license renewal if it was approved by another organization and not by the TPTA?

Courses must be approved by the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners (TBPTE) via the TPTA in order to be used towards a Texas licensee’s renewal CCU requirement.  If a course is not approved, it may be submitted by the licensee on the applicable individual course application form (available here).


Can I use someone else’s individual approval number if we both took the same course?

Per TBPTE policies and rules, individual course approvals are non-transferrable and can only be used by the individual applicant.  Multiple licensees attending the same course must all submit individual course applications to receive approval if the course is not submitted by the sponsor.


Can I get a course approved if it was not submitted by the sponsor?

Yes, individual licensees can submit a course application to get a course approved.  The applications are available here and more information regarding the processing times is available on that page.


Where can I find out how many CCUs I currently have?

Per the TBPTE, licensees are expected to maintain a list of their CCUs.  The TPTA automatically provides a CC Tracker for members as a member benefit, which is available under the Member Profile.  The CC Tracker is also available for non-members to purchase access to.


What is the difference between an accredited provider and a sponsor offering an approved course?

The majority of courses offered in Texas are from providers who have requested a course approval.  These courses have individual course approval numbers.  Providers who meet TBPTE requirements may optionally apply to become accredited providers.  These providers may attach credit to any PT-relevant course they solely offer.  These courses will have the accredited provider number listed as their “approval” number.  A list of accredited providers is available here


Where can I find a list of accredited providers?

A list of accredited providers is available here.  Individual courses may also be offered by and approved for other providers. 


How do I calculate my continuing competence credits (CCUs)?

1 CCU equals 1 contact hour.  The change to CCUs from CEUs (calculated as 10 CCUs equals 1 CEU) was implemented in July 2010.


What courses should I take if I failed the NPTE and need to take approved CCUs?

TPTA does not recommend specific courses.  Questions regarding the number of required CCUs should be directed to the TBPTE at (512) 305-6900.


Can I use non CE/CC course activities (like CI, etc.) towards my required CCUs?

Yes, click here to view the categories and activities.


How do I complete my application if I can no longer access my course evaluation?

If an individual applicant is unable to obtain a copy of the evaluation from the sponsor of the course, they can submit a statement attesting that an evaluation of the course was completed.


How will the TPTA reach me if there are problems with my application?

If an application is incomplete, TPTA will email applicants at the email provided on the application.


How much credit can I get for developing/teaching a CC course?

  • Licensees can apply to receive credit for developing or presenting a course offered at a state, national or international workshop, seminar, or professional conference, or at a board-approved continuing education course.
  • The Course Development/Presenter Application is intended for individuals seeking credit for a course they developed/presented. Lab assistants are not eligible to receive this type of credit.

If I took a course through an accredited provider, how do I know if the course is approved?

  • Accredited providers may attach credit to any PT-relevant course they solely offer. The certificate you receive for completing these courses will have the accredited provider number listed as their "approval" number.
  • Courses offered by accredited providers may not show up in the CCAP course search. This does not mean that they are not approved. Participants should check with the provider to ensure that Texas credit will be offered for the course.
  • Click here for the Accredited Provider section on the TPTA website.

Tips for searching for approved courses

To see if a course is approved in Texas, please click here. You can then search by course title, sponsor, etc. We recommend you use keywords to search for courses instead of searching for exact course titles or sponsors. You will get a more complete listing this way.




Why does it take several weeks to process an application?

Courses are reviewed in the order they are received.  Certain sponsor course applications may qualify for optional expediting – please refer to the sponsor course information for more information (available here). 


Does a course have to be approved before it is offered or can credit be given retroactively?

A course can be submitted for review after it is offered; if approved, credit can be given retroactively.  Please note that licensees can only use approved (not pending) courses towards their license renewal.


Will the fee be refunded if the course is denied?

The course application fee is non-refundable.


Can we add additional speakers after the course is approved?

Providers can add additional speakers after the course is approved by submitting a supplemental speaker application for review and approval (available here).


Can we submit a series of presentations on one application?

Course series that meet the requirements for an in-service program (provided in the sponsor course application, available here) may be submitted on one application with credit (if approved) given for each individual course.  Course series that do not meet those requirements can be submitted on one application as a series; however, if approved, credit can only be given to licensees who complete all of the individual components of the series (no partial credit can be granted per TBPTE policy).  Sponsors wishing to grant credit for individual presentations for series that do not qualify as in-service programs should submit individual course applications for each presentation. 


What information must be on the certificate of completion?

Course certificates of completion must include the following fields per the TBPTE rules and policies:

  • Sponsor name
  • Course title
  • Participant's name
  • Participant's license number
  • Course approval number
  • Contact hours & CCUs
  • Date and location the course was held/will be held
  • Signature block of the person authorized to sign certificates

How are course sponsors required to track course attendance?

PRS Sponsors and APS Providers are required to track both entry and exit of participants at live courses to determine completion of a course.


Can sponsors award CCUs if participants only complete part of a course?

Per TBPTE Rules and Policies, partial credit may not be awarded for course participation. Participants must complete the entire course to receive any CCUs for the course. Exceptions apply to Large Conferences with Concurrent Programming and Regular In-Service Programs.


Can CCUs be awarded for reading material?

  • Written material may qualify for CCUs if reading is required for completion of the course. Written material must be a standalone component of the course and not attached to audio/video or a live presentation. CCUs are granted depending upon the instructional level and number of pages.
  • 1 CCU is granted for the following page counts (250 words = 1 page):

                  Basic - 20 pages

                  Intermediate - 15 pages

                  Advanced - 10 pages


How long can sponsors offer a course after it is approved?

  • A sponsor course may be approved for a 1 or 2 year approval period per sponsor request. An approval period may begin on any date as determined by the sponsor. Approved sponsor courses may be offered multiple times at multiple locations within the approval period as long as no significant changes have been made.
  • Significant changes are defined as the following:

                  Different speakers

                  Different schedule

                  Different objectives

                  Different number of CCUs granted

  • If significant changes are made to the course, a new application will be required. If the only change is a speaker replacement, a supplemental speaker application may be submitted.

Can multiple speakers be approved to present a course?

Any speaker included in the course application may be approved to present the course. A supplemental speaker application is required if you wish to add a speaker after the course has been approved.


How do I renew my course after it is expired?

  • Courses that have been approved for one year are eligible for renewal. You can access the renewal application here. The renewal will extend the original approval period by one additional consecutive year for a total approval period of 2 years.
  • Courses that have been approved for 2 years require a new sponsor application to be re-approved.

How can a course sponsor become an Accredited Provider?

Sponsors who have offered approved CC courses in Texas for a minimum of three years and have offered 15 approved Texas courses or 135 CCUs of approved Texas courses in the last 12 months may optionally apply as an Accredited Provider (Accredited Application).




What items do I need to submit with my application?

To complete a course application, you will need to submit the following items:

  • A timed schedule or table of contents (if requesting credit for reading)
  • List of course objectives
  • A CV for each course instructor/speaker
  • A statement of relevance to the practice of physical therapy
  • Course certificate
  • Course evaluation

The sponsor of a course is defined to be the entity that is responsible for records, maintenance, and course administration.


 What is the relationship between the Texas Physical Therapy Association (TPTA) and the Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners (TBPTE)?


The Texas Board of Physical Therapy Examiners (TBPTE) is the Texas regulatory agency who is responsible for licensing and regulating physical therapists and physical therapist assistants.  The Texas Physical Therapy Association (TPTA) is a membership organization for physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and PT/PTA students and is a state chapter of the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA).  The TPTA administers the Continuing Competence Approval Program (CCAP) on behalf of the TBPTE.  Via CCAP, the TPTA approves all continuing competence courses and accredited providers on behalf of the TBPTE.  The TPTA routinely reports to the TBPTE and implements the CC rules and policies set by the TBPTE.


Accredited Providers



  • Courses offered under the Accredited Provider status cannot be co-sponsored with another organization unless specifically approved via a PRS course application for all co-sponsoring organizations OR the course is offered by multiple APS accredited providers and listed under all organizations' accredited provider statuses.
  • Co-sponsorship is defined as two or more organizations sharing responsibility for course development and implementation. This includes, but is not limited to, joint development of the course content, recognition of all organizations on course certificates, etc. Offering a course at another organization's location is not considered co-sponsorship if the other organization does not have control over the course development and implementation.